3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Jun 2013 Quality Declaration
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 17/12/2013
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
Over 65s growing fastest
People aged 65 and over are Australia's fastest growing age group, according to figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) today.
"There's now a noticeable difference between the growth rate of the working age population - traditionally considered to be people aged 15 to 64 - and the older age groups, as more baby boomers turn 65." said Bjorn Jarvis from the ABS.
"The baby boomer generation is a large group of people, and the older age group will continue to grow in size as the boomers progressively reach 65," said Mr Jarvis.
The growth rate for the older ages was 3.7 per cent over the last year, compared to 1.4 per cent for the working age population, and 1.7 per cent for children. The number of people aged 65 and over has increased from 11.6 per cent of the population (or 2.1 million people) in 1993 to 14.4 per cent (or 3.3 million people) in 2013.
"Over the last 20 years Australia's median age has crept up; back in 1993 the 'average Aussie' was around 33 years old; today, that average Aussie should be starting to worry about grey hairs as they would be around 37," said Mr Jarvis.
Tasmania recorded the largest percentage increase in the 65 and over age group, increasing from 12.2 per cent (or 58,000 people) of their population in 1993 to 17.3 per cent (or 89,000 people) in 2013.
In 2013, Tasmania remained our oldest state with a median age of 41.2 years, while the Northern Territory is the youngest with a median age of 31.7.
Australia's population has increased by around 407,000 people to reach 23.1 million for the year ending June 2013, a growth rate of 1.8 per cent.
"Western Australia continues to have the fastest population growth in the country, with an increase of 81,000 people or 3.3 per cent growth, taking the Western Australian population over 2.5 million people.
"New South Wales and Victoria have also experienced strong growth, both recording their largest annual increases in almost four years, increasing by 102,000 people and 106,000 people respectively," said Mr Jarvis.
Net overseas migration accounted for 60 per cent of this growth in Australia, with the remaining 40 per cent due to natural increase (births minus deaths). Natural increase contributed 162,700 people to the growth, 2.4 per cent higher than the previous year.
There were 311,400 births in the year ending June 2013, which is 1.8 per cent higher than the previous year. The same time period saw 148,800 deaths, which is 1.1 per cent higher than the previous year.
Net overseas migration added 244,400 people to the population, which is 8.6 per cent higher than that for June 2012 (225,100 people).
Video: The ABS is trialling a short and simple video presentation about the latest demography stats. The video gives an overview of how the population has changed in Australia and within the states and territories. You can view the video from 12:30pm today from www.abs.gov.au/videos/221-0114-001/ABS Snapshot June 2013.mp4. Please have a look and tell us what you think: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information is available in Australian Demographic Statistics, June Quarter 2013 (cat. no. 3101.0).
For population estimates at the regional level, please see Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3218.0) and Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3235.0). Available for free download from www.abs.gov.au
When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
These documents will be presented in a new window.