Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
4156.0 - Sport and Recreation: A Statistical Overview, Australia , 2003  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 29/03/2006   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> Chapter 4.1 Time Spent - Introduction >> Chapter 4.2 Time Spent - Time Spent by All Persons

TIME SPENT




TIME SPENT BY ALL PERSONS

The 1997 Time Use Survey found that, on average, Australians aged 15 years and over spent 5 hours 16 minutes (or 21.9%) of each day on free time as the main activity. Males had 24 minutes more free time than females.


Overall, most free time was spent on Recreation and leisure (85.8% or 4 hours 31 minutes per day) leaving 14.2% or 45 minutes for Social and community interaction. Almost half (48.3% or 2 hours 11 minutes) of Recreation and leisure time was spent on Audio/visual media. In comparison, 10% (27 minutes) of Recreation and leisure time was spent on Sport and outdoor activity. Males tended to spend more time on Sport and outdoor activity than females (33 minutes compared with 20 minutes).

4.1 AVERAGE TIME SPENT ON FREE TIME ACTIVITIES, Main activities by sex - All persons(a) - 1997

Males
Females
Persons
Purpose of activities
minutes per day
minutes per day
minutes per day

Social and community interaction
43
48
45
Socialising
11
11
11
Visiting entertainment and cultural venues
5
6
5
Attendance at sports events
2
1
2
Religious activities/ritual ceremonies
4
5
5
Other
20
24
22
Recreation and leisure
286
257
271
Sport and outdoor activity
33
20
27
Games/hobbies/arts/crafts
17
15
16
Reading
24
26
25
Audio/visual media
145
118
131
Attendance at recreational courses
1
1
1
Talking (incl. phone)
27
44
35
Other
38
32
34
Total free time
329
305
316

(a) Refers to persons aged 15 years and over on a single day.
Source: Time Use on Culture/Leisure Activities, 1997 (cat. no. 4173.0).


The Time Use Survey collected data about time spent on 'main activities' and time spent on 'all activities'. Main activities are those activities reported as the main activity in a particular time period. In contrast, all activities include those activities that were undertaken simultaneously with a main activity in a specified period. Respondents could record up to two activities as being undertaken in the same time period (i.e. simultaneously). When time spent on simultaneous activities was also taken into account it was found that Australians spent more time on some activities, such as Audio/visual media and Talking, than they did when only main activities were considered. However, time spent on Sport and outdoor activity increased only by one minute on average. This means that Sport and outdoor activity is only rarely undertaken as other than a main activity.


Previous PageNext Page


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.