About ABS Training Courses
Using SuperTABLE (NEW)
This half day computer based workshop aims to provide participants with the skills to use this powerful software for manipulating multidimensional ABS datasets (datacubes). SuperTABLE Software is used to creat tables that can be easily converted to Excel format. As the ABS is progressively releasing more data in SuperTABLE format, users of data cubes will need to be familiar with SuperTABLE. This workshop will equip participants with the skills to:
This course would be useful for ABS datacube users and AusStats subscribers who have little or no experience with SuperTABLE.
Understanding Demographic Data
This one day course develops participants’ understanding and use of demographic data. The course provides an awareness of demographic data produced by the ABS and gives an introduction to demographic techniques which enable comparisons of demographic data between regions and over time. Key issues to be covered include:
- Access SuperTABLE;
- Create basic tables; and
- Manipulate data.
This course would be useful for anyone who wants to improve their understanding of demographic data and processes that shape the population, or who want to use demographic data to describe changes in the population and their potential effects.
- Relationship of Population Census counts to Estimated Resident Population Data
- Components of population change; births, deaths, internal and overseas migration;
- Changing demographic trends; and
- Tools for demographic analysis.
Time Series made Simple
This half day workshop aims to provide participants with basic understanding of statistical time series, including an understanding of how to gain a clearer picture of the trends, cycles, seasonal variation, and irregular movements that may be present in the data. Participants will be able to:
The workshop is ideally suited to people who need to analyse time series data, as well as those who need an understanding of the components which make up a time series.
- Identify a time series
- Detect trend, cycles and seasonal variation; and
- Smooth time series data using Henderson weights.
Turning Data Into Information
This two day course develops skills in transforming data into meaningful written information, including:
The course is best suited to people involved in using data to produce a report or social commentary, or with analysing and describing data that has been collected in surveys or through administrative processes.
For further information contact the WA Coordinator, Cal Hoad, (08) 9360 5947 or email: email@example.com
- Understanding how the collection and compilation of data affects its usefulness, quality and relevance;
- Understanding various statistical techniques for use in data analysis;
- Communicating results and writing effective reports; and
- Constructing meaningful tables and graphs.