Clarence TAFE wins LEP Excellence Award
The 2005 LEP Excellence Award has been won by the Institute of TAFE Tasmania, Clarence Campus Library. The award was presented by the Australian Statistician, Dennis Trewin. Leanne Vincent, the Campus Librarian said she and her staff were thrilled to win and said it was unexpected. "We're a small library and we were competing against larger and more academic libraries" she said. "It is a real coup for us".
"Receiving this award has given us a renewed pride and a sense of achievement in reaching out to our customers with the ABS information they need to help them in their studies."
The shortlisted entries are shown on the next pages. For more information about the Award and to see Clarence TAFE's winning entry, visit the LEP Web pages and go to Library Extension Program. Entries for the 2006 Award close on 30 June 2006.
Clarence Campus Library is one of 9 TAFE Tasmania campus libraries. It serves a student population of around 1,800 TAFE students.
Dennis Trewin, Australian Statistician presenting LEP Excellence Award to Leanne Vincent of TAFE Tasmania
What they presented ...
- An 'ABS Feast' for Community Welfare Work students timed with the start of their social research assignments. The focus was on identifying ABS products to assist their research.
- ABS information sessions provided in all classes for Certificate IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma students, including off-campus students attending a 2 day workshop. Focus on ABS products for specific courses.
- Use of videos, networked wireless laptops and targeted handouts at training sessions.
- An ABS display during Library and Information Week.
- ABS information in 'Social Research in the Library' guide and 'Using Statistics in Social Research' student guide.
- Strong supporting evidence to show the value of their initiatives, including student testimonials, loan statistics, information about attendance at training sessions and photos.