(a) Small domain estimation methodology was introduced for the 2013-14 release. For more information, please refer to paragraph 11 of the Explanatory Notes.
Employees June 2014
Cash wages and salaries 2013-14
|Commonwealth Government (a)|
|State Government (a)|
|Local Government (a) |
|Total Public Sector |
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
- In June 2014 there were 1,908,200 public sector employees. There were 246,400 employees in Commonwealth government, 1,472,900 in state government and 188,900 in local government.
- In 2013-14, the total cash wages and salaries for the public sector was $139,061.3 million.
- A sample redesign and small domain estimation methodology have been implemented for the 2013-14 survey. Both changes improved State by Level of Government estimates for 2013-14 and will improve these estimates in future years. For further details on the sample redesign and small domain estimation methodology, refer to paragraph 11 of the Explanatory Notes.
- This collection covers public sector organisations, including Commonwealth and state/territory government organisations, local government authorities, public corporations, universities, non-profit institutions controlled by the government, government marketing boards, legislative courts, municipal authorities and other statutory authorities. Organisations are classified to Level of Government by determining the institutional unit (i.e. Commonwealth, state or local government) deemed to exercise control. The estimates in this release may differ from other available information due to differences in coverage and/or the classification of organisations. For further details, refer to paragraphs 29 - 34 of the Explanatory Notes.
- Previously published estimates for 2012-13 have been revised as a result of new information received from organisations. The extent of revisions may differ between data items, states/territories, level of government and industries.