|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
JULY KEY FIGURES
SEASONALLY ADJUSTED ESTIMATES (MONTHLY CHANGE)
In October 2003, the ABS began the progressive implementation of computer assisted interviewing (CAI) into the LFS. Under CAI, interviewers record responses directly onto an electronic questionnaire in a laptop computer.
For the period October 2003 to January 2004 the CAI method was used on a random 10% sub-sample of survey interviews. The remaining 90% of interviews each month were conducted using the traditional 'pen and paper' method.
The sub-sample of survey interviews conducted using the CAI method was increased to 40% in February 2004 in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory, and remained at 40% in March 2004. In the remaining states and the Northern Territory, the proportion of interviews using the CAI method stayed at 10% for February and March 2004. The CAI method was used for 40% of interviews for all states and territories in April and May 2004. This was increased to 70% in June 2004, and remained at that level in July 2004. From August 2004 all LFS interviews will be conducted using the CAI method.
Implementation of the CAI interviewing method has not affected published estimates in any meaningful way. Nonetheless, the ABS is continuing to monitor the situation carefully by conducting a range of analyses on each month's data. These analyses have confirmed that, to date, the change in interview method has not materially affected the aggregate estimates for any month. Users will continue to be informed of the progress of CAI implementation, including the results of further analyses, through updates in this publication.
The trend estimate of unemployed persons fell rapidly from 920,800 in September 1993 to 728,200 in July 1995. The trend estimate then rose to 771,500 in February 1997, before falling to 584,000 in September 2000. After rising to 685,700 in October 2001, the trend estimate has generally fallen to stand at 571,700 in July 2004.
The trend unemployment rate fell rapidly from 10.7% in August 1993 to 8.1% in July 1995. The trend estimate then rose slowly, reaching 8.4% in February 1997, before falling to 6.1% in September 2000. After rising to 7.0% in October 2001, the trend estimate has generally fallen to stand at 5.6% in July 2004.
EMPLOYED PERSONS TREND ESTIMATES
MALES EMPLOYED FULL TIME
From a low of 3,939,500 in November 1992, the trend estimate for males employed full time rose to 4,216,000 in April 1996. After remaining stable for a year, the trend then rose to 4,400,900 in August 2000. The trend then fell to 4,337,000 in June 2001, before generally rising to stand at 4,578,500 in July 2004.
MALES AGED 15-19
Although fluctuating, the trend estimate of males aged 15 to 19 employed full time generally decreased through the decade from 159,900 in March 1995 to 141,700 in June 2003. The trend then rose to 156,200 in January 2004 before falling to stand at 147,000 in July 2004.
MALES AGED 20 AND OVER
Apart from a flat period between mid 1995 and mid 1997, the trend estimate of males aged 20 and over employed full time rose steadily, from 3,787,600 in December 1992 to 4,256,300 in August 2000. The trend then fell to 4,193,000 in July 2001, before generally rising to stand at 4,431,500 in July 2004.
FEMALES EMPLOYED FULL TIME
The trend estimate of females employed full time generally rose from 1,865,500 in August 1992 to 2,266,300 in March 2001. The trend then decreased to 2,216,200 in February 2002, before generally rising to stand at 2,357,700 in July 2004.
FEMALES AGED 15-19
The trend estimate of females aged 15 to 19 employed full time fell from 95,000 in October 1994 to 74,000 in August 1998. The trend then rose to 89,100 in February 2001, before falling to 76,400 in April 2002. Although fluctuating over the last twelve months, the trend has increased since April 2002 to stand at 86,500 in July 2004.
FEMALES AGED 20 AND OVER
The trend estimate of females aged 20 and over employed full time, while remaining steady for a two year period in the mid 1990s, generally increased from 1,770,900 in August 1992 to 2,177,600 in March 2001. The trend then fell to 2,136,300 in December 2001, before generally increasing to stand at 2,271,200 in July 2004.
These documents will be presented in a new window.