Australian Bureau of Statistics
4604.0 - Energy Account, Australia, 2008-09 Quality Declaration
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 29/04/2011
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
SUPPLY OF ENERGY
ENERGY SUPPLY, 2001–02 to 2008–09
ENERGY PRODUCTION, By Product, 2008–09
Just over nine-tenths (91%) of Australia's supply of energy in 2008-09 was from domestic production, with the other 9% supplied by imported products. Black coal was the largest contributor to Australia's energy supply over the period, representing 49% of Australian primary energy production (and 44% of total production) in 2008-09. The amount of black coal produced in Australia grew from 7,282 PJ in 2001–02 to 8,904 PJ in 2008–09, an increase of 22%.
Uranium production grew 38% from 3,782 PJ in 2001-02 to peak in 2004–05 at 5,207 PJ, constituting nearly a third of total primary energy supply at that time, before decreasing by 361 PJ or 7% between 2004-05 and 2008-09. Natural gas production grew each year between 2001-02 and 2008-09, with a total increase of 522 PJ or 37%.
Australia's crude oil production fell by 259 PJ or 19% between 2001–02 and 2008–09. Crude oil imports were also down 11% over the period (from 1,057 PJ to 944 PJ). This reduction in primary supply of petroleum was compensated by a 546 PJ (364%) increase in refined product imports over the period. Imports constituted 36% of Australia's supply of refined products in 2008–09.
The supply of primary renewable energy products also experienced growth between 2001–02 and 2008–09. Production of biomass wood and bagasse grew by 13% over the period, while production of solar and wind energy increased from 6 PJ to 23 PJ between 2004–05 and 2008–09.
Households' contribution to primary energy production was 0.2% in 2008–09, most of which was from biomass wood (29 PJ). However, household energy production from solar grew from 2 PJ in 2005-06 to 8 PJ in 2008-09.
Production of refined products (including petrol and diesel fuel) dropped 15% between 2001-02 and 2008-09, but in spite of this refined products remained the largest contributor to Australia's secondary energy production in 2008-09, representing 54% of secondary production in that year. Total secondary electricity production grew by 57 PJ (from 868 PJ to 925 PJ) over the period between 2001–02 and 2008–09, an increase of 7%. Despite this, hydro electricity production fell by 24% over the period (from 58 PJ to 44 PJ), reflecting drought conditions during this time. Of secondary fuel production, liquid/gas biofuels experienced the largest percentage growth between 2001-02 and 2008-09.
ENERGY PRODUCTION, By Industry and Households, 2008–09
The manufacturing industry accounted for 60% of Australia's secondary energy production in 2008–09. Most of this amount came from the chemical manufacturing industry (producing refined petroleum products), with a small contribution from Iron and steel manufacturing (producing coal products). The electricity, gas, water and waste services industry accounted for the remaining 40% of secondary energy production in 2008-09.
These documents will be presented in a new window.
This page last updated 10 December 2012