A number of changes have been made to Topic 6, 'Total expenditure on education'.
- The table, 'Total expenditure on education' has been revised.
- The categories 'Total expenditure on education ($m)', and 'Total expenditure on education - % of GDP' have been deleted. These were derived by adding together Total government expenditure on education and Total private expenditure on education. However, because Private expenditure on education includes acquittal of substantial Current transfer expenditure from governments, the sum of the two overstates Total expenditure on education by approximately $5 billion.
- The row 'Government expenditure on education - % of GDP' has been re-derived using the preferred numerator, the gross Government expenditure on education. In the original table, the percentage of GDP was derived using the net figure, Total government expenditure on education. This was inconsistent with the source publication, 'Government Finance Statistics - Education, Australia, 2000--2001' (cat. no. 5518.0.55.001), and substantially understated the gross contribution to GDP of government expenditures on education.
- The table has been restructured to make it clear that Sales of goods and services are subtracted from the other components of Government expenditure on education.
- Because of the revisions to the table, the commentary in paragraphs 2 and 3 has also been revised.
- Commentary in paragraph 1 has been edited to make it clear that the topic relates to the government sector, not to any specific government or level of government.
This page last updated 22 March 2007