ABOUT THIS PRODUCT
Australian Historical Population Statistics contains a wide range of demographic data in spreadsheet format, going back, where possible, to the beginning of European settlement (1788) of Australia. Statistics are included on population size and growth, population distribution, population age-sex structure, births, deaths, migration, marriages and divorces.
LATEST AVAILABLE DATA
This product is updated annually. More up-to-date information may be available from the source products stated at the bottom of each spreadsheet. A list of Related ABS and Other Products is also available in paragraph 52 of the Explanatory Notes (linked above).
At the time of the current update (1 October 2004) the latest available data were:
Estimated resident population (ERP)
The latest available ERP data are featured in population size and growth, population distribution and population age-sex structure tables, and are used to calculate the various rates found in births, deaths, migration and marriages and divorces tables.
- Births 2002.
- Deaths 2002.
- Migration 2003.
- Marriages 2002.
- Divorces 2002.
ERP data undergoes changing status from preliminary, to revised and then final. The status of the latest available ERP data in the current update are:
Indigenous population estimates
The latest available Indigenous population estimates are 2001 census based.
- Final - All ERP data up to and including June quarter 2001.
- Revised - ERP data from September quarter 2001 to June quarter 2003.
- Preliminary - ERP for capital cities, balance of state and major population centres (population distribution tables 17 and 18) at 30 June 2003.
The following amendments (corrections) have been made:
- Table 37: Median age of mother for the years 1975 to 2001.
- Table 40: The age-specific fertility rate for the 35-39 age group and the total fertility rate for the Northern Territory for the year 1966.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
- Table 13. Indigenous population, age and sex, states and territories, 30 June 1991 (1996 census based)
- Table 14. Indigenous population, age and sex, states and territories, 30 June 1996 (1991 census based)
- Table 15. Indigenous population, age and sex, states and territories, 30 June 1996 (1996 census based) is now table 13.
- Table 14. Indigenous population, age and sex, states and territories, 30 June 1991 (2001 census based).
- Table 15. Indigenous population, age and sex, states and territories, 30 June 1996 (2001 census based).
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070.
A summary commentary for Australian Historical Population Statistics has not been compiled.
Main features (or summary commentary) for ABS products can be accessed from the home page of the ABS web site <http://www.abs.gov.au> by selecting AusStats, Free Summary Info (Main Features) and then using the catalogue system to find the relevant product.
ABS sees this as an evolving product with new data sets being added in response to the need and the availability of data in electronic form. Comments on this product, including apparent anomalies and omissions as well as suggestions of existing data for inclusion would be appreciated and should be sent to Cassandra Eaves <Cassandra.Eaves@abs.gov.au >. If you wish to discuss any issues, call Cassandra on (02) 6252 6384.