Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
4172.0 - Arts and Culture in Australia: A Statistical Overview, 2011  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 19/12/2011   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  

WHOLESALE SALES

Data from the Australian Recording Industry Association Limited (ARIA) for the year ending 31 December 2009 showed that the value of wholesale sales of sound recordings and music videos totalled $446.1m, up $20.5m (5%) on the $425.6m in 2008. Sales of CDs (singles and albums) accounted for 72% of total value of sales, down from 77% in 2008, while music videos and DVDs continued to account for 10% of total value of sales. Digital sales have continued to increase markedly, up 46% from $54.2m in 2008 to $79.2m in 2009. Digital sales accounted for 18% by value of total music sales in 2009, up from 13% in 2008. Further information can be found at the ARIA website www.aria.com.au.

13.1 AUSTRALIAN ARIA WHOLESALE SALES(a), Physical and digital - Year ending 31 December 2009

Number
of units
Value(b)
'000
$'000

Physical
CD singles
513
1 314
Vinyl albums
79
1 050
Cassette albums
-1
12
CD albums
39 529
320 900
Music video/DVD
4 353
43 160
Other(c)
33
432
Total
44 506
366 868
Digital
Digital track
35 966
38 534
Digital album
2 279
21 846
Mobile master ringtones
3 641
6 306
Other(d)
228 628
12 558
Total
270 514
79 244
Total
315 020
446 112

(a) These figures are based on submissions from reporting ARIA members, estimated to represent approximately 95% of the local wholesale market.
(b) Figures have been calculated after the application of any volume or other rebates.
(c) Includes sales of vinyl singles, DVD singles, DVD albums, mini disks and SACD.
(d) Includes sales of digital music video, mobile ringback tunes, streams, ad-supported income, unearned advances and one-off payments.
Source: Australian Recording Industry Association Limited, www.aria.com.au





Previous PageNext Page


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.