DIVISION O – PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION AND SAFETY
The Public Administration and Safety Division includes units mainly engaged in Central, State or Local Government legislative, executive and judicial activities; in providing physical, social, economic and general public safety and security services; and in enforcing regulations.
Central, State or Local Government legislative, executive and judicial activities includes:
Also included are units of military defence, government representation and international government organisations. The provision of physical, social, economic and general public safety and security services, and enforcing regulations, includes units that provide:
- the setting of policy;
- the oversight of government programs;
- collecting revenue to fund government programs;
- creating statute laws and by-laws;
- creating case law through the judicial processes of civil, criminal and other courts; and
- distributing public funds.
Government ownership is not a criterion for classification to this industry division.
- police services;
- investigation and security services;
- fire protection and other emergency services;
- correctional and detention services;
- regulatory services;
- border control; and
- other public order and safety services.
Government units producing 'private sector like' goods and services are classified to the same industry as private sector units engaged in similar activities. Private sector units engaged in public administration or military defence are classified to the Public Administration and Safety Division. Units engaged in a combination of public administration and service delivery activities should be classified according to the predominant activity of the unit. However, units engaged in a combination of public administration and service delivery activities where a predominant activity cannot be determined, should be classified to the appropriate class in the Public Administration and Safety Division.