Expenditure estimates in Topic 6 have been superseded by a longer series of revised estimates. For up-to-date expenditure estimates, please refer to the latest issues of the source publications, "Government Finance Statistics - Education" (ABS cat. no. 5518.0.55.001), and "Australian System of National Accounts" (ABS cat. no. 5204.0).
Changes to table 1 of Topic 6
Changes to table 2 of Topic 6
- Under 'Private expenditure on education', the labels for the rows 'Gross fixed capital formation' and 'Household final consumption expenditure' have been exchanged. This corrects an error in the original data cube.
- The categories 'Total expenditure on education ($m)', and 'Total expenditure on education - % of GDP' have been deleted. These were derived by adding together Total government expenditure on education and Total private expenditure on education. However, because Private expenditure on education includes acquittal of substantial Current transfer expenditure from governments, the sum of the two overstates Total expenditure on education by approximately $5 billion.
- The row 'Government expenditure on education - % of GDP' has been re-derived using the preferred numerator, the gross Government expenditure on education. In the original data cube, the percentage of GDP was derived using the net figure, Total government expenditure on education. This was inconsistent with the source publication, 'Government Finance Statistics - Education, Australia, 2000--2001' (cat. no. 5518.0.55.001), and substantially understated the gross contribution to GDP of government expenditures on education.
- The table has been restructured to make it clear that Sales of goods and services are subtracted from the other components of Government expenditure on education, and to make the footnotes easier to read.
Changes to table 3 of Topic 6
- The two sets of notes have been re-formatted to make them easier to read, and to clarify the composition of Total government expenditure on education.
- No changes have been made to the data content of table 2.
- A spelling error in the title has been corrected.
This page last updated 22 March 2007