UNIT GROUP 4421 PRISON OFFICERS
PRISON OFFICERS supervise and control the activities of inmates in prisons and other correctional institutions.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- observing the conduct and behaviour of prisoners to prevent disturbances and escapes
- inspecting and maintaining the security of locks, window bars, grilles, doors and gates
- supervising prisoners during work assignments, recreational periods, sporting activities and meals
- assisting with the implementation of education, rehabilitation and other programs organised for prisoners
- searching prisoners and cells for weapons, drugs and other contraband items
- patrolling assigned areas and reporting breaches of rules, unsatisfactory attitudes and prisoner adjustment problems
- requisitioning prisoners' clothing, toiletries, reading material and other allowable items
- supervising prisoners in transit between courts, prisons and other facilities
442111 PRISON OFFICER
Correctional Officer (Aus)
Corrections Officer (NZ)
Supervises and controls the activities of inmates in a prison or other correctional institution.
Skill Level: 4