Shortcuts - New look Census on the web
For the 2006 Census, a new, simplified web interface has been developed by the ABS. This interface guides the user through a series of steps which will enable access to a product(s) relevant to their needs. This has been an ongoing process, demonstrating that the ABS is committed towards making greater use of the Internet, catering for the broad range and experience of users, and providing better access to self-help services.
Two surveys and a series of face-to-face consultation sessions have been conducted annually with clients in every state and territory across Australia since the 2001 Census. This information has guided the development of the 2006 Census product range, ensuring they are relevant and reflective of the needs of our users. Further information sessions are planned for November 2006.
A taste of what is to come...
Sample Census statistics in their new format via the ABS web site. This is a valuable opportunity to familiarise yourself with the new, simplified interface before the 2006 data is available.
Access 2001 Census data for free via the following online options:
More new products will be available online in the future:
- New Quickstats the - A quick and simple summary of key Census data relating to persons, families and dwellings.
- New Census Tables - A product that offers you the chance to obtain Census data in a single table for a specified geographic area.
- Community Profiles - A series of profiles providing key Census characteristics related to persons, families and dwellings, covering most topics on the Census form.
Further information about the products, the Census Dictionary and metadata information will be available through The Census Guide (ABS cat. no. 2914.0.30.001), to be released in September 2006, which will be freely available on the ABS web site and as a CD-ROM.
Bookmark www.abs.gov.au and follow the Census link to check out new Census developments as they happen.
- Quickmaps - A range of thematic Census maps based on larger geographies depicting selected population, ethnicity, family, income, labour force and dwelling characteristics.
- CDATA Online - A sophisticated product aimed at offering expert clients freedom to select and combine geographic areas from a single Collection District (CD) through to an entire state/territory or Australia.
- Table Builder - Aimed at experienced users of Census data, this product will allow you to design and populate your own tables of Census data via an interactive web interface.