4. RESEARCH & EXPERIMENTAL DEVELOPMENT (R&D) STATISTICS
Surveys are currently being conducted for the year 1998-99. The surveys cover businesses, higher education institutions, government organisations and private non-profit organisations. Details of R&D expenditure and human resources devoted to R&D classified by type of expenditure, location of expenditure, source of funds, type of employee, type of activity, field of research and socio-economic objective are being collected. Details are also being collected for payments and receipts for technical know-how.
Final results from the surveys will be released in the following publications:
- 8111.0 Research and Experimental Development, Higher Education Organisations, Australia (expected to be released in March 2000)
- 8104.0 Research and Experimental Development, Business Enterprises, Australia (expected to be released in June 2000)
- 8109.0 Research and Experimental Development, General Government and Private Non-Profit Organisations, Australia (expected to be released in July 2000)
- 8112.0 Research and Experimental Development, All Sector Summary, Australia (expected to be released in August 2000).
4.1 Regional R&D statistics
In the research and experimental development (R&D) surveys conducted by the ABS, organisations are asked to break down their R&D expenditure by location, i.e. where the R&D was actually carried out. The locations are the States and Territories of Australia plus an Overseas category. Data below State or Territory level are not collected. Tables showing R&D expenditure by location are included in the set of R&D publications.