3. RESEARCH & EXPERIMENTAL DEVELOPMENT (R&D) STATISTICS
The processing of R&D surveys for the year 1998-99 is currently nearing completion. The surveys covered businesses, higher education institutions, government organisations and private non-profit organisations. Details of R&D expenditure and human resources devoted to R&D classified by type of expenditure, location of expenditure, source of funds, type of employee, type of activity, field of research and socio-economic objective were collected. Details were also collected for payments and receipts for technical know-how.
Final results from the surveys will be released in the following publications:
A survey of R&D undertaken by businesses in 1999-2000 is to be conducted soon, with forms expected to be dispatched in August 2000. This survey will be the first to use the classifications contained in the 1998 edition of the Australian Standard Research Classification (ASRC). The Socio-economic objective (SEO) classification has been revised and the Research fields, courses and disciplines (RFCD) classification has replaced the Field of research (FOR) classification.
An information paper on health R&D in Australia has recently been produced by the ABS. The paper presents statistics on health R&D carried out in Australia in 1996-97 by businesses/organisations within the Business, General government, Higher education and Private non-profit sectors. The paper is available on request.
- 8111.0 Research and Experimental Development, Higher Education Organisations, Australia (expected to be released in April 2000)
- 8104.0 Research and Experimental Development, Business Enterprises, Australia (expected to be released in June 2000)
- 8109.0 Research and Experimental Development, General Government and Private Non-Profit Organisations, Australia (expected to be released in July 2000)
- 8112.0 Research and Experimental Development, All Sector Summary, Australia (expected to be released in August 2000).