Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate this page
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
1362.7 - Regional Statistics, Northern Territory, 2007  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 31/10/2007   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  



Tourism contributes substantially to the Northern Territory's economy, with a marked increase in economic activity during the peak tourism period of the dry season and the concurrent winter of the southern states.

In the period from 2004 to 2006 there were on average 1.4 million persons visiting the Northern Territory per year. The majority were domestic visitors (75%), with the remaining (25%) being international visitors. The Top End Area had the highest proportion of visitors (56%), as well as the longest average length of stay (7 nights). Popular places in the Top End region include Kakadu National Park, Litchfield National Park and city of Darwin. The Centre Area constitutes the second highest proportion of visitors (44%)and is host to the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park.

In 2006, 3707 persons were employed within tourist accommodation establishments which included 51 caravan parks, 91 hotels, motels, guest houses and serviced apartments, and 23 hostels. Takings from hotels, motels, guest houses, and serviced apartments in 2006 totalled $195.2 million. Takings for hostels in 2006 totalled $12.8 million, and $25 million for caravan parks.

Tourism accommodation, Northern Territory: 2002-2006
Graph: Tourism accommodation, Northern Territory: 2002–2006

Further information on tourism in the Northern Territory is available from the following sources:

Tourism Research Australia

Tourism NT

Aboriginal Tourism Australia

Tourism Accommodation, Small Area Data, Northern Territory ( 8635.7.55.001)

Tourism Region Maps and Concordance Files, Australia ( 9503.0.55.001)

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2016

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.