4. THE INNOVATION STATISTICS PROJECT
The Innovation Survey Group has conducted two rounds of innovation surveys. The first was in respect of 1993-94 and the second in respect of 1996-97. Both surveys were mainly concerned with details of the innovation process in the Manufacturing industries, however, the 1993-94 survey also included some information in respect of other industries.
The types of information available from the 1996-97 manufacturing survey include:
Results from the surveys are available in the following publications:
- the level and types of innovation in Australian manufacturing;
- some characteristics of innovating businesses;
- the innovation capabilities of manufacturers;
- the impact of innovation on the business;
- qualitative aspects of innovative manufacturers; and
- case studies of implemented innovations.
The ABS is currently moving away from the idea of directly measuring innovation. Instead, we are investigating whether we can produce a range of statistical indicators on the knowledge based economy and society. We are at a very early stage of thinking on what this entails ... so please contact us if you would like to contribute ideas.
- 8116.0 Innovation in Manufacturing
- 8121.0 Innovation in Mining
- 8118.0 Innovation in Selected Industries.