Media release –
New South Wales
2011 Census collection - on track and winding up26 August 2011 | NSW/124
The collection of NSW's four million Census forms is drawing to a close with most of the state’s 8,200 Census Collectors taking a well deserved rest after more than a month of delivering and collecting Census forms.
NSW Census Director Mark Harding says it’s not too late for people who were in Australia on Census night, Tuesday, 9 August 2011, to make sure they are included.
“Census Collectors will be back out this weekend picking up remaining Census forms.
“Remember, taking part in the Census is so important that it’s compulsory. Information collected in the Census is vital for planning services and facilities that people use everyday, like roads, transport, hospitals and schools.
“It’s crucial that everyone who was in Australia on Census night is accurately counted so decision makers and governments take their needs into account when planning for the future.
"It's not too late to be counted. If you haven't received a form, need assistance or would like to order a pre-paid mail-back envelope please call the Census Inquiry Service on 1300 338 776," Mr Harding says.
Forms can also be mailed reply paid to:
Australian Bureau of Statistics
Reply Paid 86331
Melbourne VIC 8060
Mr Harding says this year’s Census Collectors have played a key role in planning for Australia’s future.
“Overall, our Collectors have done an outstanding job, often in difficult circumstances. Collectors are the face of the Census and the backbone of the operation and their hard work has contributed to the success of the 2011 Census,” Mr Harding adds.
So far around 30 per cent of the population has chosen to complete the Census online using the eCensus option which remains open until 5 September.
The first results of the Census will be released in June 2012 and public consultation on the 2016 Census form and topics will occur in late 2012.
For more information visit www.abs.gov.au/census or call 1300 338 776