ABS scores highly in 2020 APS Employee Census
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is pleased to release our agency results from the 2020 APS Employee Census.
Each year, all APS employees are invited to take part in the Australian Public Sector (APS) Employee Census. The Employee Census collects information on important workforce issues such as job satisfaction, engagement, wellbeing and leadership. While it usually takes place in May, the 2020 Employee Census was delayed to October 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In 2020, 84% of ABS employees chose to share their views by participating in the Employee Census. ABS' 2020 results were very positive, showing improvement from 2019 across most areas and comparing very favourably with agencies across the APS. 83% of ABS employees who responded to the Employee Census said they would recommend ABS as a good place to work.
ABS results - 2020 APS Employee Census.pdfABS results - accessible - 2020 APS Employee Census.xlsx
An employer of choice
Our Employee Census results reflect our commitment to being an employer of choice, through our focus on purpose, people, place and partnerships as motivators for our employees.
Purpose – informing Australia’s important decisions:
- 90% “believe strongly in the purpose and objectives of my agency” (APS average: 82%).
- 92% "can see a clear connection between my job and my agency’s purpose" (APS average: 85%).
- 89% "feel committed to my agency's goals" (APS average 83%).
People – we are open, diverse, passionate and dedicated:
- 89% believe “my agency supports and actively promotes an inclusive workplace culture" (APS average: 81%).
- 89% “believe my immediate supervisor cares about my health and wellbeing” (APS average: 84%).
Place – we build careers in a modern flexible workplace:
- 92% are “satisfied with their non-monetary employment conditions (e.g. leave, flexible work arrangements, other benefits)” (APS average: 79%).
- 88% believe “my job gives me opportunities to utilise my skills” (APS average: 84%).
Partnerships – we collaborate:
More detail is available in the 'ABS results - 2020 APS Employee Census' report.
What do we do with our results?
- 92% believe “The people in my workgroup cooperate to get the job done” (APS average: 87%).
The ABS uses the results from each year’s Employee Census to inform our people strategies and policies, and to track progress against workforce initiatives. We discuss results with employees to identify their highest priorities for action. We have a number of people-related initiatives underway to help us continuously improve.
Need more information on the APS Employee Census?
More information on the APS Employee Census can be found on the Australian Public Service Commission’s website:
APS employee census 2020 | Australian Public Service Commission (apsc.gov.au)