Technology and innovation
Research and Experimental Development, Businesses, Australia
- During 2021-22, business expenditure on R&D was $20,642 million, up 14% from 2019-20.
- Business human resources devoted to R&D totalled 91,414 person years of effort.
- The Professional, scientific and technical services industry recorded the largest increase in R&D expenditure, up $871 million or 14%.
- 38% of total business R&D expenditure was in the field of Information and Computing Sciences.
Characteristics of Australian Business
- During the year ended 30 June 2022, 38% of businesses reported having experienced a skills shortage, compared to 24% for the year ended 30 June 2020.
- 22% of businesses reported having experienced a cyber security incident(s), compared to 8% for the year ended 30 June 2020.
70% of businesses reported having a preventative measure in place to address cyber security threats.
Film, Television and Digital Games, Australia
Film and video production businesses overtook subscription broadcasters and channel providers to have the largest total income ($4,575.3m).
Television drama production costs ($1,085.0m) had the largest increase of all production types.
Multiplatform end-to-end digital game development income ($181.6m) was the largest source of income for digital game development businesses.
Innovation in Australian Business
- In the two-year period ended 30 June 2021, over half of all businesses (52%) reported being innovation-active.
- Of the innovation-active businesses, 36% collaborated and/or had a fee-for-service arrangement for innovation.
- 24% of innovation-active businesses collaborated for innovation.
Research and Experimental Development, Government and Private Non-Profit Organisations, Australia
- Expenditure on R&D performed by Australian government organisations during the 2020-21 financial year was $3,618 million, an increase of $288 million in comparison to 2018-19.
- Expenditure on R&D performed by Australian private non-profit (PNP) organisations during the 2020-21 financial year was $1,399 million.
Research and Experimental Development, Higher Education Organisations, Australia
- Expenditure on Research and Experimental Development (R&D) performed by Australian higher education organisations during the 2020 calendar year was $12,668 million.
Higher Education Expenditure on R&D (HERD) as a proportion of GDP decreased from 0.62% in 2018 to 0.61% in 2020.