National Study of Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Over two in five Australians aged 16-85 years (43.7% or 8.6 million people) had experienced a mental disorder at some time in their life
- One in five (21.4% or 4.2 million people) had a 12-month mental disorder
- Anxiety was the most common group of 12-month mental disorders (16.8% or 3.3 million people)
- Almost two in five people (39.6%) aged 16-24 years had a 12-month mental disorder
- 20% or 4.8 million Australians had a mental or behavioural condition, an increase from 18% in 2014-15.
- 13% or 3.2 million Australians had an anxiety-related condition, an increase from 11% in 2014-15.
- 10% had depression or feelings of depression, an increase from 9% in 2014-15.
2017-18 financial year