How the ABS will contact you during Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Keeping the community safe during COVID-19
If we have selected your household for one of our household surveys, you will receive letters from us explaining your role in this survey. In response to COVID-19 the ABS have a number of different strategies in place across the states and territories to ensure you have the support you need to complete your survey. If you would like more information about our surveys please go to our Information for Survey Participants page.
Conducting household surveys in a COVID-19 environment
Household surveys still go ahead with careful planning and continuous monitoring. The health and safety of the community and ABS Field Interviewers continue to be our highest priority.
The information collected from surveys will be more important than ever and will help provide up-to-date information on how the spread of COVID-19 is impacting our society and economy.
We have done extensive planning of our community engagement procedures to protect people selected in our surveys, as well as our ABS Field Interviewers, during COVID-19. We are actively monitoring and adapting our approach to suit local circumstances and restrictions.
We understand people need flexibility, so we are making it as easy as possible for people to complete surveys. This includes allowing people to complete certain surveys over the phone and online.
Working in the community
ABS Field Interviewers work in the community to help people complete their survey face-to-face, or over the phone. ABS Field Interviewers will continue to work in the community safely, following all public health orders and current local rules and restrictions.
ABS Field Interviewers:
- are provided with face coverings and training around social distancing, hand hygiene and non-contact
- have clear instructions about what the allowed activities are in their local area.
- For example, in some areas, the local rules may mean it is appropriate to drop survey materials in a letterbox, but ABS Field Interviewers are not able to knock on doors or provide face-to-face help.
Surveys in lockdown areas
If you are in a COVID-19 lockdown area, you will still need to complete your survey. However, ABS Field Interviewers will not be able to offer face-to-face help. There are other ways you can complete your survey, such as over the phone or online.
How to get help
- Contact Us to speak to someone in our contact centre
- For information on Survey Account Help
- Find your survey on our list of Current Household Surveys
- If there are people in your household who do not speak English, you can Contact Us to arrange for an ABS Field Interviewer who is fluent in that language. Alternatively, you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450.
Adhering to state restrictions
We monitor the changing COVID-19 environment to ensure that our safety measures are up-to-date and meet the guidelines and advice from federal, state and territory governments. Please check your local state and territory government health advice for guidance on the current situation.
Understanding the impact of the pandemic
Survey data is used to inform decisions that impact all of us. From schools, healthcare, transport and infrastructure to local services for individuals, families and communities.
The information you provide will help provide up-to-date information about the impact of COVID-19 on Australian society and economy. This helps governments and communities make informed decisions around Australia’s response to the pandemic.