Film Television & Digital Games
|Page tools: RSS Search this Product|
NAME OF ORGANISATION
The purpose of this collection is to measure the finances (income and expenses), characteristics (size and structure) and output (production activity) of businesses/organisations in the film, television and digital game development industries in Australia. The collection produces both broad economic measures and performance indicators to quantify the overall contribution of these industries to the Australian economy, as well as detailed data describing the activities taking place within these industries. The information will be used by government policy makers, particularly the relevant national government body Screen Australia, to assist in policy formulation and review, as well as by private sector analysts.
The scope of the survey includes:
- all employing and significant non-employing businesses mainly engaged in film and video production and post-production services (classes 5511 Motion Picture and Video Production and 5514 Post-Production Services and Other Motion Picture and Video Activities).
- all Australian businesses/organisations mainly engaged in providing television broadcasting services (subset of classes 5621 Free-To-Air Television Broadcasting and 5622 Cable and Other Subscription Broadcasting and an industry defined list of channel providers)
- all Australian businesses that generated income predominately from the development of digital games for a range of formats including consoles, handheld consoles, mobile platforms, PC and Mac (list compiled using association and industry lists, and additional research)
The statistical unit used to report businesses and organisations is the ABN for ATO maintained units, or the TAU for units selected from the ABS profiled population.
Results from the survey will be published in 8679.0 - Film, Television and Digital Games, Australia, 2011-12
Outputs will include:
The most recent results were released in the following publications:
The primary industry classification used is the Australian and New Zealand Industrial Classification (ANZSIC).
The scope of the collection is defined at ANZSIC class level (5511,5514,5621,5622) with some supplementation from industry listings. As there is no ANZSIC class specifically for the Digital Games Development industry, these businesses were defined based on industry research and lists obtained from industry bodies. Similarly, the scope of 5621 and 5621 were significantly reduced based on confrontation against listings from industry regulatory bodies to exclude businesses not engaged in either television broadcasting services or television channel provision.
The lowest level of output classification is as follows:
- Motion picture and video production
- Post-production services
- Free-to-Air Television Broadcasting
- Subscription Television Broadcasters
- Subscription Television Channel Providers
- Digital Game Developers
Other concepts (summary)
New South Wales
Comments and/or Other Regions
Data availability comments
These documents will be presented in a new window.