In practise, a separate AUS collection is run (using 3 different coloured forms) to achieve each of the above aims. (for further info see Qu.1, collection design, CMS form )
Prior to the creation of the Ag NPC, updating data was collected on the generalised "update of ABS business list" form which was insufficient for Ag purposes. Consequently, the AUS form was designed by the Tas Business register section to enable them to collect all the information needed to birth/update ag businesses on the register.
- to identify new agricultural businesses that should be birthed to the Business register
- to check the operating status of LEs (registered as Group employers and coded as rural producers by the ATO, which we do not already have on the business register).
- to periodically check the status of ag establishments that are on the register but currently are out-of scope of the Ag census (i.e. their EVAO is less than $5000).
To determine the nature and extent of agricultural activity. The information provided is used to update the business register which is used to determine the population for the Agricultural Census, Ag Supplementaries and the Agricultural Finance Survey.
As the collection is used to serve 3 different purposes - i.e either 1) to identify new agricultural businesses that should be birthed to the Business register (sourced from industry association lists etc 2) to identify new agricultural businesses that should be birthed to the Business register (sourced from AGGEMS) and 3) to periodically check the status of ag establishments that are on the register but currently are out-of scope of the Ag census (i.e. their EVAO is less than $5000) (see Qu.1 Purpose and Collection History, CMS form ) there are essentially 3 "scopes".
actual and potential ag establishments, Australia-wide.
- Legal Entities thought to be operating 1 or more ag establishments (acquired from Ag census front of form information, industry association lists, media articles etc etc) that are not currently on the business register;
- LEs registered as Group employers and coded as rural producers by the ATO, which we do not already have on the business register as operating ag property and;
- All establishments on the Business Register with an EVAO <$5000 (excluding certain establishments with "forced" EVAO's of certain values, which are deemed "in-scope" on a 3 yr rotational basis.
n/a - no statistical output is produced and no metadata is captured on an input processing system
Other concepts (summary)
1. National & State/Territory\1.01 Australia
2. Parts of State\2.05 Local Government Area (LGA)
2. Parts of State\2.12 Other Geographic Areas\2.12.07 Commonwealth Electoral Division
Comments and/or Other Regions
The AUS is used for 3 main purposes (a different coloured form is used for each). An AUS is conducted for non-matching AGGE's on a quarterly basis. Once a year an AUS is run for units on the business register with specified EVAO's <$5000. AUS' for coverage purposes are usually conducted twice a year (dependent on available resources)
The AUS collection began during the 1993-94 Ag census processing year (i.e. in 94-5 fin year. Prior to this, data was collected on the "update of ABS business list" form.
Data availability comments
no data as such collected. used for updating frames
DATE OF LAST UPDATE FOR THIS DOCUMENT
20/06/2002 09:11 AM