3301.0 - Births, Australia, 2010 Quality Declaration 
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 25/10/2011   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All  
Contents >> Summary of findings >> Nuptial and ex-nuptial births


In 2010, 66% of births were nuptial births; that is, births to parents who were married at the time of the birth (marriage in this publication refers to a registered marriage unless otherwise indicated). Ex-nuptial births accounted for the remaining 34% of births, although many of these births may have been to mothers in de facto relationships. The proportion of ex-nuptial births has been increasing since the 1950s, and has risen strongly over the past three decades.

2.5 Ex-nuptial births, Proportion of all births, Australia - 1910 to 2010
Graph: 2.5 Ex-nuptial births, Proportion of all births, Australia—1910 to 2010

Acknowledgement of paternity

When a birth is ex-nuptial, there is a possibility that the father may not acknowledge the birth (that is, the father has not signed the birth registration statement). While the number of ex-nuptial births has increased greatly over the past twenty years, the proportion of births for which paternity was not acknowledged has decreased. In 1990, paternity was not acknowledged for around 23% of all ex-nuptial births, however, by 2010 this proportion had decreased to 9%. Births where paternity is not acknowledged have decreased from 5% of all births in 1990 to 3% in 2010.

Previous PageNext Page