RELEASE OF POPULATION ESTIMATES: CONCEPTS, SOURCES AND METHODS (CAT. NO. 3228.0.55.001)
Population Estimates: Concepts, Sources and Methods (cat. no. 3228.0.55.001) was released on 12 June 2009. This publication provides a description of the concepts, sources and methods used by the ABS in the production of population estimates.
Included in this publication are:
- an overview of the range of population estimates produced by the ABS and some of the major uses for these population estimates
- the methods and data used to produce population estimates at the national/state and statistical local area (SLA) levels
- the method used to produce population estimates for customised geography
- information on estimating components of population growth
- information on selected sub-populations
- the data sources used to produce population estimates.