8570.0 - Health Care Services, 2009-10 Quality Declaration
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 05/07/2011 First Issue
|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
CHIROPRACTIC AND OSTEOPATHIC SERVICES
There were 11,440 persons engaged in the chiropractic and osteopathic services industry at the end of June 2010. Of this number 6,109 or 53.4% were registered health practitioners and other staff providing health care.
Of those providing direct health care services 4,462 persons were employed by businesses and 1,648 persons (27%) were working on contract. This industry had the highest proportion of persons working on contract when compared with medical and other health industries. Working proprietors and partners accounted for 1,680 or 37.7% of persons employed by businesses (indicating that over a third of the industry consisted of businesses owned by solo practitioners or practitioners in partnership), while the remaining 2,782 or 62.3% were employees. This industry had the highest proportion of permanent full-time employees when compared with medical and other health industries. Almost 70% of all employees were permanent full-time, 19.6% were permanent part-time and 10.6% were casual/temporary.
There were 5,331 other staff engaged in the chiropractic and osteopathic industry representing 46.6% of total employed and contracted persons.
Income and expenses
Fee for service income of $662.7m accounted for 87.9% of the total income of $754.2m generated by chiropractic and osteopathic businesses during the 2009-10 financial year.
Chiropractic and osteopathic businesses operating at 30 June 2010, generated an average income of $232,100 per business. Fee for service income earned per practitioner was $108,500.
Wages and salaries of $228m accounted for 37.7% of total industry expenditure of $604.9m during 2009-10.
Operating profit before tax for chiropractic and osteopathic businesses during the 2009-10 financial year was $149.1m, representing an operating profit margin of 19.9% .