MAJOR GROUP 8 LABOURERS
LABOURERS perform a variety of routine and repetitive physical tasks using hand and power tools, and machines either as an individual or as part of a team assisting more skilled workers such as Trades Workers, and Machinery Operators and Drivers.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this major group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III, or at least one year of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 4); or
AQF Certificate I, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification, or at least one year of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 4); or
NZ Register Level 1 qualification, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. In the case of some Skill Level 5 occupations, a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification, or no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
- cleaning commercial, industrial and domestic premises, vehicles and machines
- spreading, levelling and finishing concrete and bituminous paving materials, and assembling and erecting scaffolding and rigging
- loading and unloading machines, assembling components, and grading, inspecting and packing products
- assisting with cultivating and harvesting crops, plants and forests, and with livestock production
- processing meat and seafood, and assisting with producing and preparing food
- loading and unloading freight from trucks, trains and ships, and stocking shelves in stores and supermarkets