UNIT GROUP 8414 GARDEN AND NURSERY LABOURERS
GARDEN AND NURSERY LABOURERS perform a variety of routine tasks in propagating, cultivating and maintaining plants in gardens and horticultural nurseries.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications outlined below.
AQF Certificate I, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 1 qualification, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
For some occupations a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification. In some instances no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
- loading, unloading and moving garden supplies and equipment
- preparing garden sites and plots using hand tools and machines
- assisting with planting and transplanting flowers, shrubs, trees and lawns
- maintaining gardens by watering, weeding and mowing lawns
- cleaning gardens and removing rubbish
- assisting with propagating, planting and potting seeds, bulbs and cuttings
- tending plants by hand watering and weeding
- adjusting mist irrigation systems, shade and ventilation
- harvesting and packaging plants for sale and transport
841411 Garden Labourer
841412 Horticultural Nursery Assistant
841411 GARDEN LABOURER
Assists in cultivating and maintaining gardens.
Skill Level: 5
841412 HORTICULTURAL NURSERY ASSISTANT
Nursery Hand (Horticulture)
Assists in propagating, cultivating and harvesting plants in a horticultural nursery.
Skill Level: 5