Plans, directs, coordinates and performs farming operations to breed and raise fish and other aquatic stock.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- plans and manages the operation of hatcheries to produce fish fry, seed oysters, crayfish, marron and prawns taking into account environmental and market factors
- transports fish, crayfish, marron, prawns and sticks of seed oysters to new tanks or beds
- monitors and maintains water quality to maintain health standards and optimal growing conditions
- identifies and controls environmental toxins and diseases
- monitors stock growth rates to determine when to harvest
- directs and oversees the harvesting, grading and packaging of fish, oysters and other aquatic stock
- organises the sale, purchase and transportation of fish stock
- maintains and evaluates records of farming activities, monitors market activity and plans production accordingly
- manages business capital, including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors