3129-13 Metallurgical and Materials Technician
Tests materials as part of mineral and metal processing and refining, or for research into metals, ceramics, polymers and other materials in support of metallurgists and other professionals.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate IV or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- obtains, measures and prepares samples for testing
- subjects materials to test procedures often using complex equipment under the direction of metallurgists and other professionals
- analyses, records and reports results
- compiles charts, graphs and other data for reports
- sets up, operates and cleans laboratory and other scientific equipment
Dye Penetrant Testing Technician
Heat Treatment Technician
Magnetic Testing Technician
Non-Destructive Testing Technician
Pressure Testing Technician