2533-11 Fashion Designer
Designs garments and accessories by pursuing original ideas or adapting existing styles.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. This occupation requires high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience.
- conceives designs for garments or fashion accessories such as handbags and shoes
- prepares detailed sketches showing front, back, seams, cut and other important features of garments
- chooses combinations of fabrics, colours and trim to complement styles
- discusses designs with management, sales departments, manufacturing staff, and buyers from retail and department stores
- assists pattern makers in the production of master patterns and supervises production of sample garments
- uses computer-aided design systems
- may showcase product at fashion shows and exhibitions