UNIT GROUP 2414 SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHERS
SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHERS teach primary and secondary school students with particular learning difficulties and promote students' social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- assessing students' abilities and limitations with regard to intellectual, physical, social or emotional handicaps, exceptional intellectual gifts, or specific problems of language and culture
- planning, organising and implementing special programs to provide remedial or advanced tuition
- administering various forms of assessment and interpreting the results
- teaching basic academic subjects, and practical and self-help skills to hearing and sight impaired students
- devising instructional materials, methods and aids to assist in the training and rehabilitation process
- advising, instructing and counselling parents and teachers on the availability and use of special techniques
- stimulating and developing interests, abilities, manual skills and coordination