2413-11 Secondary School Teacher
Teaches one or more subjects within a prescribed curriculum to secondary school students and promotes students' social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- presents subject matter using a range of teaching techniques and materials
- prepares, administers and marks tests, projects and assignments to evaluate students' progress, and records the results
- discusses individual progress and problems with students and parents and seeks advice from student counsellors or senior teachers
- maintains discipline in classrooms and other school areas
- participates in staff meetings, educational conferences and workshops
- liaises with parent, community and business groups
- maintains class and scholastic records
- supervises student teachers on placement
- may coordinate teaching in a particular subject area
- may assist with sporting activities and excursions
Secondary School Teacher-Librarian