3421-11 Parole or Probation Officer
Supervises parolees who have been placed on probation by court order or released conditionally from corrective service institutions.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- submits reports and recommendations on whether offenders should be granted parole or put on probation
- interviews parolees, their families, employers and teachers, investigating their history, both before and during detention
- arranges for treatment or employment of parolees as directed by the courts
- supervises parolees and advises them on such matters as education, employment, finance, housing and other community services
- conducts regular interviews and reports on progress
- maintains contact with families to resolve problems of readjustment and rehabilitation
- may assist in determining which cases fall in the jurisdiction of the court system and which should be referred to other agencies