UNIT GROUP 3242 VEHICLE BODY BUILDERS AND TRIMMERS
VEHICLE BODY BUILDERS AND TRIMMERS manufacture and repair prototype production units and purpose-built vehicle bodies, and install, repair and replace the interior trim of vehicles.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- constructing framework sections in metal, wood, fibreglass and other materials using shaping machines and cutting and welding equipment
- bolting, screwing, riveting and welding sections together to form complete frameworks
- cutting and shaping panels of sheetmetal, aluminium and reinforced plastic and attaching to frameworks using hand and power tools
- modifying assembly line vehicles to special requirements
- preparing new vehicle trim work according to drawings and sketches, and removing old coverings and fittings from vehicles and taking new measurements
- selecting and cutting pieces of fabric, vinyl and leather and sewing pieces together using heavy-duty sewing machines
- installing internal trim in vehicles such as lining, floor coverings and armrests
- attaching door trims, rubber seals, locks and handles
324211 Vehicle Body Builder
324212 Vehicle Trimmer
324211 VEHICLE BODY BUILDER
Manufactures and repairs prototype production units and purpose-built vehicle bodies such as buses, trucks, fire engines and caravans. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3
324212 VEHICLE TRIMMER
Installs, repairs and replaces the interior trim of vehicles such as seats, linings, floor coverings and door trims. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3