STATISTICAL CAPABILITY DEVELOPMENT
The Statistical Capability Development program takes a lead role in building statistical capability across the National Statistical Service (NSS), the Australian community and the regional and global statistical systems. The program supports the ABS key goal of informed and better use of Australia's statistical assets by developing and delivering quality products and services. These include key partnerships with external organisations as well as leading the ABS in its efforts to improve statistical capability and promote the informed and increased use of statistics within Australian governments and the broader community.
The objectives of the Statistical Capability Development program are to:
- develop and build stakeholder support for a rigorous framework to underpin ABS statistical capability initiatives
- provide national leadership for an ABS-wide, coordinated statistical capability program
- develop specific statistical capability strategies and high quality products and services for key client groups
- collaborate with business partners across the ABS (such as National Statistical Service Leadership, State and Territory Statistical Services, and statistical programs) to deliver strong statistical capability outcomes
- partner with a range of key external stakeholders and build collaborations which support ABS statistical capability initiatives.
The main outputs of the program are the provision of a range of ABS products, services and specialist advice and assistance aimed at supporting statistical capability development, which include:
- the development and implementation of an Integrated Statistical Capability Development Plan
- a national external statistical training program
- the ABS Education Services and CensusAtSchool-Australia websites - primary vehicles for providing online education resources
- the annual CensusAtSchool statistical collection program
- statistical literacy resources hosted on the Understanding Statistics web pages
- the ABS Statistical Literacy Assistant.
Consistent with the Statistical Capability Development program's national leadership role, the main medium-term developments in the program are to:
- develop and implement the ABS's Integrated Statistical Capability Development Plan 2014-19 - due 2013-14
- gain support for the adoption of the Integrated Statistical Capability Development Framework across the NSS - due 2013-14
- organise a round table to address the decline in Australia's statistical education and capability - due 2013-14
- evaluate the available open on-line course offerings relating to building statistical capability - due 2013-14
- provide customised training, both national and international including eLearning and blended learning initiatives - ongoing
- develop new teacher and student resources aligned to the new Australian Curriculum - ongoing
- deliver an enhanced Statistical Literacy Assistant and Understanding Statistics web pages to support statistical literacy development - due 2013-14
- contribute to international work focussed on building statistical capability in the global and specifically the Asia-Pacific region - ongoing.
Lewis Conn, Assistant Statistician, Office of the Statistician and External Engagement