Draws and paints pictures that assist in presentation and meaning, and explain narrative, dialogue and ideas.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. This occupation requires high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience.
- examines assignment brief and related material, and prepares layouts and sketches of proposed illustrations
- determines style, technique and medium to produce the desired effects and conform with reproduction requirements
- conceives and renders illustrations and details from models, sketches or imagination
- uses pens, ink, charcoal, crayons, paint and other materials to create drawings and illustrations
- discusses and amends illustrations with clients and production team at various stages of completion
- uses computers to develop and enhance illustrations
- illustrates children's books, scientific work, technical manuals, reference books and other publications
- may specialise in product packaging, corporate, medical or architectural illustration
- may prepare series of drawings to illustrate an animated sequence in a television or film production