4316-11 General Communications Tradesperson
Installs, maintains and repairs telecommunications equipment and appliances such as telephones, mobile telephones, switchboards and data transmission equipment, in homes or at business or telephone exchanges or other network sites.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- examines drawings, specifications and work areas to determine positioning and connections for equipment to be installed
- attaches wires and cables to appliances
- locates faults in telecommunications equipment using instruments such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, ammeters and digital and analogue transmission measuring equipment
- adjusts, replaces and repairs faulty items of line concentrating equipment, telephone exchanges, telephone installation centres and fault control centres
- repairs telephones and telecommunications equipment in homes, or installs computerised switchboards and commanders in offices
- tests equipment using electronic instruments
- may assist installation of aerial or underground telephone cables or radio antennae
- may install and maintain a full range of mobile radio and personal access radio equipment