6202.0 - Labour Force, Australia, Nov 2013 Quality Declaration 
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 12/12/2013   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All
12 December 2013
Embargo: 11.30 am (Canberra time)

Australia's unemployment rate at 5.8 per cent in November 2013

Australia's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate increased by less than 0.1 percentage points to 5.8 per cent in November, as announced by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) today.

The ABS reported the number of people employed increased by 21,000 to 11,659,900 in November. The increase in employment was due to increased full-time employment, up 15,500 people to 8,107,900 and increased part-time employment, up 5,500 to 3,552,000. The increase in total employment was driven by increases in male full-time employment and female part-time employment.

The number of people unemployed increased by 3,400 people to 712,500 in November, the ABS reported.

The ABS monthly seasonally adjusted aggregate hours worked series showed a decrease in November, down 11.7 million hours (0.7 per cent) to 1,634.4 million hours.

The ABS reported the seasonally adjusted labour force participation rate remained steady at 64.8 per cent in November.

The seasonally adjusted underemployment rate was 7.6 per cent in November 2013. Combined with the unemployment rate of 5.8 per cent, the latest seasonally adjusted estimate of total labour force underutilisation was 13.4 per cent in November.

More details are in the November 2013 issue of Labour Force, Australia (cat. no. 6202.0), as well as the upcoming November 2013 issues of Labour Force, Australia, Detailed (cat. no. 6291.0.55.001) and Labour Force, Australia, Quarterly (cat. no. 6291.0.55.003), due for release next week on December 19. These publications are available for free download (after release) from the ABS website - www.abs.gov.au.

Media note:
When reporting ABS data, the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or ABS) must be attributed as the source.