DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
Sep Qtr 2010
Dec Qtr 2010
|Total managed funds industry |
1 750 918
1 793 020
|Consolidated assets total managed funds institutions |
1 393 085
1 422 657
|Cross invested assets between managed funds institutions |
|Unconsolidated assets total managed funds institutions |
1 795 086
1 838 208
|Life insurance corporations |
|Superannuation (pension) funds |
1 238 616
1 278 393
|Public offer (retail) unit trusts |
|All other managed funds institutions |
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
TOTAL MANAGED FUNDS INDUSTRY
by type of institution
CONSOLIDATED ASSETS OF MANAGED FUNDS INSTITUTIONS
- As at 31 December 2010 the managed funds industry had $1,793.0b funds under management, an increase of $42.1b (2%) on the September quarter 2010 figure of $1,750.9b. This increase was driven primarily by the increase in consolidated assets of managed funds institutions of $29.6b.
- The main valuation effects that occurred during the December quarter 2010 were as follows: the S&P/ASX 200 increased 3.5%, the price of foreign shares (represented by the MSCI World Index) increased 8.6% and the A$ appreciated 5.0% against the US$.
CROSS INVESTED ASSETS
- As at 31 December 2010 the consolidated assets of managed funds institutions were $1,422.7b, an increase of $29.6b (2%) on the September quarter 2010 figure of $1,393.1b.
- The major asset types to increase during the quarter were shares, $16.5b (4%); land, buildings and equipment, $4.9b (3%); units in trusts, $3.5b (2%); deposits, $2.5b (1%); and overseas assets, $2.4b (1%). These were offset by decreases in derivatives, $1.3b (35%), other non-financial assets, $0.9b (5%); and loans and placements, $0.4b (1%).
- As at 31 December 2010 there were $415.6b of assets cross invested between managed funds institutions.
- During the December quarter 2010 the unconsolidated assets of superannuation (pension) funds increased by $39.8b (3%); public offer (retail) unit trusts increased by $3.4b (1%); life insurance corporations increased by $2.1b (1%); cash management trusts decreased by $2.1b (7%); friendly societies decreased by $0.1b (2%) and common funds remained virtually the same.
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|March 2011 ||26 May 2011|
|June 2011 ||25 August 2011|
|September 2011 ||24 November 2011|
|December 2011 ||23 February 2012|
There have been revisions in some series as a result of the receipt of revised administrative data and revised survey data. Superannuation and investment manager data have been revised back to June quarter 2007. Life insurance corporations, public unit trust and cash management trusts data have been revised back to September 2005. No revisions were made to friendly society and common fund data.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
The complete time series from June quarter 1988 for Table 8 are available with the release of this issue. For the remaining time series tables, data from September quarter 2005 are available with the release of this issue. The complete time series for these tables will be released on 4 March 2011.
The entire time series reflects the incorporation of revised international standards.
Further information on changes to this publication incorporated in the last issue are available in Information paper: Changes to Managed Funds, Australia to incorporate revised international standards
(cat. no. 5655.0.55.002) which was released on 28 October 2010.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Joseph Madaffari on Canberra (02) 6252 5842.