UNIT GROUP 2533 DESIGNERS AND ILLUSTRATORS
DESIGNERS AND ILLUSTRATORS create designs for clothing and accessories, commercial and industrial products and building interiors or prepare artwork and illustrations for a range of media.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. Some occupations in this unit group require high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience.
- determining the objectives of the design by consulting with clients, undertaking research and analysing functional requirements or studying layouts
- formulating design concepts for garments or fashion accessories, copy layout, commercial or industrial products, building interiors or illustrations
- preparing illustrations or sketches to communicate design concept
- discussing design with clients, management, sales and manufacturing staff
- supervising the production of sample product or design illustrations, instructing other workers making models or patterns of products, or instructing finishing or layout artists assembling artwork for printing
- selecting or recommending decorative and functional materials for interiors of buildings, ships, aircraft or other transport vehicles
- examining assignment brief and related material, and preparing layouts and sketches of proposed illustrations
- using pens, ink, charcoal, crayons, paint and other materials to create drawings and illustrations