Controls and manages the operations of ships and boats.
The entry requirement for this occupation is commensurate with an AQF Diploma or higher qualification and relevant experience in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- controls, directs or manoeuvres ships and boats during berthing and mooring, navigational planning and emergencies in accordance with safety rules and regulations
- ensures compliance with regulations pertaining to safety at sea and protection of the marine environment
- controls and directs operations to ensure the safe and efficient loading and transport of cargo and passengers
- controls the receipt and transmission of general and emergency information by radio, flags, morse lighting and pyrotechnic communication
- ensures the security, safety, efficiency and economic operation of vessels
- manages and controls fire hazard, abandon ship and damage control procedures
- manages and administers budgets and expenditure
- manages and maintains inventory, records and documentation
- devises and implements strategic and operational planning