ABS 2017 Program Design and Infrastructure Division
The strategic objective of the ABS 2017 Program Design and Infrastructure Division is to support the ABS 2017 objectives on efficiency, effectiveness and first successful digital census by leading the design, development and implementation of new statistical business models, information management governance, infrastructure and standards, and metadata driven processes that encompasses the life-cycle management of data and metadata assets.
The Division is responsible for leading the design and information infrastructure strategy for transforming the ABS business to meet its strategic objectives. Working in collaboration with Technology Services Division, Methodology and Data Management Division and the two other areas of ABS 2017 Group, the Division will lead the development of:
- an enterprise architecture; and
- statistical information management governance, infrastructure and standards.
In addition, the Program is also coordinating an international collaboration initiative that shares expertise and resources to deliver co-designed and co-developed projects that aim to harmonise statistical methods and tools internationally. This includes developing the Generic Statistical Information Model, Web Collection Capability and Dissemination Platform. The Program also provides Secretariat support for a Statistical Network of National Statistical Offices of 6 countries established to develop strategies for international collaboration.
The program has the following main outputs:
- An enterprise architecture model that defines the future ABS business model and how to get there
- Re-engineered business processes and applications to support standardisation, integration, better information management and reuse within the ABS
- Information Management frameworks, standards and governance
- Core Information Management infrastructure
The main medium term developments are to:
- Develop a strategy for the ABS transformation program to support the ABS 2017 objectives – due 2012–2013
- Develop, design and oversee the implication of enterprise applications that support plug and play, connectivity and re-use of applications – due 2012–13 to 2014–15
- Develop and implement a Metadata Registry and Repository to provide end-to-end management, registration, storage and re-use of ABS metadata – due 2012–13 to 2013–14
- Develop and implement an Enterprise Data Warehouse to provide life-cycle management of statistical data – due 2012–13 to 2014–15
- Develop harmonised business requirements for administrative data, and ensure these requirements are incorporated into the development of the Generic Statistical Business Process Model processes – due 2012–13 to 2014–15
- Develop and implement a framework for managing and re-using metadata – due 2012–13 to 2014–15
- Lead the international development of the Generic Statistical Information Model – due 2012–13
- Provide secretariat services to the Statistical Network of eight countries established to progress international collaboration to “industralise” the production of statistics – due June 2012–2013
Program Infrastructure Branch