Fits and assembles metal parts and sub-assemblies to fabricate production machinery and other equipment.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- studies drawings or specifications to determine methods and sequences of operations
- checks prepared metal components for accuracy, using measuring instruments such as micrometers, callipers and rules
- lifts and hoists components on to working surface, lays out and marks reference points, and aligns parts using measuring instruments
- drills holes and taps threads for bolting parts together, and assembles parts and sub-assemblies
- cuts, threads, bends and installs hydraulic and pneumatic pipes and lines
- verifies alignment of, and clearances between, components using measuring instruments
- cleans and lubricates assembled articles
- may mark out stock to be shaped and formed into metal parts by other workers
- may shrink-fit parts during assembly, using oxyacetylene torches and presses
- may fit and assemble non-metallic parts
- may erect machinery and equipment on-site
- may test-assemble articles in workshops to ensure accuracy of fit
Fitter and Turner
Mechanic (Diesel and Heavy Earthmoving Equipment)