4172.0 - Arts and Culture in Australia: A Statistical Overview, 2009  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 21/10/2009   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  

GOVERNMENT FUNDING

In 2007-08, government funding for cultural activities totalled $6,311.4m, with state and territory governments providing almost half (47% or $2,952.2m), the Australian Government contributing 37% ($2,358.9m), and local government making up the balance of 16% ($1,000.3m).

Operational expenditure accounted for 88% of cultural funding by all levels of government in 2007-08, while funding for capital expenditure accounted for the remaining 12%.

Apart from direct funding, the Australian Government also provides assistance through tax concessions such as the Cultural Gifts Program, which offers tax deductions to encourage the donation of items of cultural significance to public art galleries, museums and libraries. According to the 2007-08 Annual Report of the Department of Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA), 617 donations were made to the program in that year with a total value of $43.2m.

In 2007-08, the majority (76% or $1,788.2m) of Australian Government cultural funding supported Arts activities. Radio and television services were the main beneficiaries, receiving over three quarters of the total Arts activities funding provided by the Australian Government (76% or $1,352.7m).

In contrast, state and territory governments directed the majority (77% or $2,266.3m) of their funding to Heritage activities in 2007-08. Environmental heritage was the largest recipient in 2007-08, receiving $1,345.4m, almost half (46%) of the total state and territory government funding for cultural activities.

4.1 Cultural Funding By level of government - 2007-08

Value of funding
Percentage of total
$m
%

Australian Government(a)
Heritage
Art museums
58.2
0.9
Other museums and cultural heritage
232.3
3.7
Environmental heritage
121.0
1.9
Libraries
65.4
1.0
Archives
93.8
1.5
Total heritage
570.7
9.0
Arts
Literature and print media
27.2
0.4
Music performance
35.3
0.6
Drama
31.9
0.5
Dance
36.8
0.6
Music theatre and opera
8.7
0.1
Other performing arts
8.4
0.1
Performing arts venues
-
-
Music composition and publishing
1.8
-
Visual arts and crafts
32.5
0.5
Design
0.1
-
Radio and television services
1 352.7
21.4
Film and video production and distribution
115.5
1.8
Multimedia
3.7
0.1
Other arts
133.5
2.1
Total arts
1 788.2
28.3
Total Australian Government
2 358.9
37.4
State and territory government
Heritage
Art museums
178.2
2.8
Other museums and cultural heritage
365.0
5.8
Environmental heritage
1 345.4
21.3
Libraries
317.6
5.0
Archives
60.1
1.0
Total heritage
2 266.3
35.9
Arts
Literature and print media
8.2
0.1
Music performance
103.1
1.6
Drama
23.3
0.4
Dance
14.4
0.2
Music theatre and opera
16.8
0.3
Other performing arts
35.1
0.6
Performing arts venues
235.2
3.7
Music composition and publishing
1.1
-
Visual arts and crafts
28.2
0.4
Design
3.4
0.1
Radio and television services
2.3
-
Film and video production and distribution
91.8
1.5
Multimedia
6.3
0.1
Other arts
116.8
1.9
Total arts
685.8
10.9
Total state and territory government
2 952.2
46.8
Local government
Art museums
51.0
0.8
Other museums and cultural heritage
33.1
0.5
Libraries
653.4
10.4
Performing arts
38.1
0.6
Cultural or arts services n.e.c.
224.8
3.6
Total local government
1 000.3
15.8
Total
6 311.4
100.0

- nil or rounded to zero (including null cells)
(a) The Australian Government refers to the federal government. It does not refer to the aggregate of state and territory governments, nor does it include local government.
Source: Cultural Funding by Government, Australia, 2007-08 (cat. no. 4183.0).






Previous PageNext Page