APPENDIX 2 ADDITIONAL HOUSING TOPICS
In the Survey of Income and Housing (SIH), conducted by the ABS every two years, a comprehensive range of housing occupancy and costs data is regularly collected. This includes information for Australian households on tenure type, housing costs, housing utilisation, housing loans and dwelling structure. These data are released in this publication and on the SIH Confidentialised Unit Record Files (CURFs).
The ABS household survey program provides for the inclusion of an expanded range of housing data in every third SIH cycle i.e. every six years, to provide periodic updates of the broader housing circumstances of Australians. The first collection of additional housing topics occurred with the 2007-08 SIH and is summarised in this Appendix.
The additional housing topics in the 2007-08 SIH were determined through consultation with major users of Australian housing statistics. Potential topics were prioritised and tested before the final selection of topics was made.
Collection of the additional data in the 2007-08 SIH enables comparisons of non-Indigenous results, with similar items collected in respect of Indigenous Australians in the 2008 National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Survey (NATSISS).
The additional housing topics selected for inclusion in the 2007-08 SIH, including the main data items, are set out below:
- Housing mobility
- Number of years lived in current dwelling
- Number of times moved in the last 5 years
- Structure of previous dwelling
- Location of previous dwelling
- Tenure and landlord type of previous dwelling
- Reasons for last move
- Likelihood of moving in the next 12 months
- Barriers to moving
- Housing condition and dwelling characteristics
- Major structural problems
- Repairs and maintenance undertaken in past 12 months
- Sources of water and energy
- Satisfaction with current dwelling
- Smoke alarm fitted
- Home purchase for first home buyers
- Sources of home deposit
- Size of home deposit
- Sources of monetary assistance to purchase dwelling
- Purchase price of dwelling
- Loan financing of owners with a mortgage
- Whether re-financed loan for property in the last 2 years
- Reasons for re-financing
- Whether paid above minimum repayments
- Number of years remaining on loan contract
- Rental arrangements
- Length of lease
- Length of time remaining on lease
- Amount of bond paid
- Non-monetary exchanges provided by or to the tenant
- Whether have been refused rental accommodation in last five years
- Whether on public housing waiting list
- Number of years that respondent has rented (in all rentals)
- Feelings of safety at home alone during the day and after dark
- Ability to ask for small favours
- Perceived level of difficulty with transport
A comprehensive list of the additional data items is available in Survey of Income and Housing - Confidentialised Unit Record Files, Technical Manual, 2007-08
(cat. no. 6541.0).
From 2007-08 onwards, the SIH will regularly collect tenure and landlord information for persons and income units, and whether persons and income units are currently in receipt of Commonwealth Rent Assistance.
Summary data for the additional housing topics will be published in Housing Mobility and Conditions, Australia, 2007-08
(cat. no. 4130.0.55.002), expected to be released in November 2009. Data on mobility, condition of dwelling, satisfaction with dwelling, feelings of safety, difficulty with transport, re-financing, first home buyers and renters will be included.
The additional housing data are available for use on the 2007-08 SIH CURFS (see paragraphs 78 to 80 of the Explanatory Notes).