3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Jun 2019 Quality Declaration
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 19/12/2019
|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
Australia's population grows by 1.5 per cent
Australia's population grew by 1.5 per cent during the year ending 30 June 2019, according to the latest figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
ABS Demography Director Beidar Cho said: "The population at 30 June 2019 was 25.4 million people, following an annual increase of 381,600 people."
Natural increase accounted for 37.5 per cent of annual population growth, while net overseas migration accounted for the remaining 62.5 per cent.
There were 303,900 births and 160,600 deaths registered in Australia during the year ending 30 June 2019. Natural increase during this period was 143,300 people, an increase of 0.5 per cent from the previous year.
There were 536,000 overseas migration arrivals and 297,700 departures during the year ending 30 June 2019, resulting in net overseas migration of 238,300 people. Net overseas migration did not change compared to the previous year.
Further information is available in Australian Demographic Statistics, June Quarter 2019 (cat. no. 3101.0).
For regional population estimates see Regional Population Growth, Australia (cat. no. 3218.0), available for free download from https://www.abs.gov.au/.
These documents will be presented in a new window.