4613-13 Hide and Skin Classer
Inspects and assigns gradings to skins, hides or tanned leather.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- inspects and tests green skins or hides, for size, cleanliness, colour, markings and quality, and sorts into lots for fellmongering, drying, salting or tanning
- inspects and sorts dried or salted skins for baling or tanning
- inspects wet blue leather hides or tanned skins for thickness, size and quality and sorts into lots for further tanning or despatch
- directs assistants in artificial drying, stacking, folding and baling
- consults with stock clerks to verify bale stencilling
- directs assistants in the collection and laying out of hides, skins or leather
- records information such as quantity and quality of hides